Saturday, June 9, 2007

Embracing Nature - Gauja National Park, Latvia (18/7/06 - Day 4)


Latvia's countryside is world renowned for its pristine and unspoiled nature. As a result, a trip to Latvia without visiting the countryside is like missing out a great treasure. Therefore, a trip to Latvia should definitely include visiting one of its four National Park.

Gauja National Park is the closest national park to Riga, only an hour by train away to Sigulda, the gateway town to the Gauja National Park. In the morning, I met together with the Aussie friend I met in the hostel and went to the train station to board the next train to Sigulda. It was a local train which run every hour to Sigulda and onward continuing to Cesis and Valmiera. Within an hour we arrived at Sigulda train station and ready to head off to the nature. Sigulda is called the "Switzerland of Latvia," in that its small hills and river around is so beautiful and pure.

The best way to experience Sigulda is to take its short cable car across the Gauja river, which runs throughout the National Park. There, one feels like totally emerging into the thick forest, without any pollution from civilization at all. Within five minutes we arrived at the other side of the river. Besides its pristine nature, Sigulda and the Gauja National Park is also famous for its many caves, and the biggest cave, the Gutmanis cave, is 19 metres deep, 10 metres high and and 12 metres wide.

Many hiking trails connects the national park, and cycling around the park is possible. However, due to the insufficient amount of time, I decided to walk back and visit the castles instead. Due to insufficient of time I did not make it to the Turaida castle, which supposes to be very gigantic and worth a visit. However, I did make it to the Sigulda castle ruins, which is located on the way back to the train station.

Sigulda castle was built in the 13th century. However, what you saw is only ruins of it, but with the new Sigulda castle located nearby. Nowadays, the new Sigulda castle was turned into a restaurant and there I had my delicious Latvian style lunch.


The good thing of having someone to travel with me is that I can ask him to take pictures of myself. After having him taking the picture for me the tenth time, he began to say:


"I think I should begin charging you for the service, pal!"


"Oh well, whatever, but if you don't mind, could you take this last picture of me? I really enjoy the scenery of this Sigulda castle. Thanks a lot." I asked in a friendly gesture.

After lunch, I headed back to the train station. Together we took the next train to the town of Cesis, located another 40km east of Sigulda, more inward into the Gauja National Park.

Cesis is known for being the most "Latvian" town of Latvia, in that unlike many other towns, Cesis has more cobblestone winded streets, rustic old houses as well as a medieval "middle-aged" type castle which makes it looks more historical than Eastern European. It was fun to walk around the town, visiting the market place, the many old houses as well as touring around the castle, as I feel like stepping back in Latvian's history trying to make sense of everything I have seen so far in Latvia. Later in the day, we set at a cafe shop and ordered a few drinks, and there we also met another Australian couple. Surprisingly that other Australian couple has also been to Hong Kong! What a small world, I think.

As the evening came, we got back on the train and headed back to Riga. By the time we arrived Riga, it was almost 8:00pm and I arrived back in my hostel, being dead tired. What a Latvia, I thought. I really fall in love with this country and hope I will have a chance to come back and visit again.







(Pic caption: 1. Scenery across the Gauja River, 2. Me at Gutmanis Cave, 3. Me having a nice Latvian meal at Sigulda new castle. 4. View of Sigulda new castle)

No comments: